Craving lasagna, but trying to eat healthy? Try this yummy lasagna recipe straight from the Ranch…
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 3 chayote* squash, peeled, pitted and sliced very thin – 1/8 inch thick
- Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 cup fat free ricotta or
- 1% cottage cheese
- 3 cups spinach, chopped
- 1 cup low fat mozzarella, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Lightly oil a 9” x 9” inch square baking pan.
- Slice the chayote about 8 inch thick lengthwise.
- Place one layer of chayote in pan overlapping the slices slightly. Season very lightly with salt and pepper.
- Beat the egg whites until frothy, then mix in the blue cheese and ricotta.
- Spread half of the egg white mixture over the chayote, follow with half of the spinach, and 1/3 of the mozzarella. Repeat with another layer.
- Finish with a layer of chayote topped with the remaining mozzarella.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until the lasagna is set and the cheese on top is golden brown.
*Chayote is a green pear shaped squash containing a soft central pit. It was a staple of the Aztec and Mayan diet. You may substitute zucchini or any summer squash for the chayote.