Makes 12-14 Egg Rolls
Egg Roll Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, julienned
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced thin
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced thin
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 1/2 cups bean sprouts
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/3 cup light soy sauce
- Fresh-ground black pepper
- 12-14 egg roll sheets
Ginger-Plum Dipping Sauce Ingredients
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup
- 1 fresh red chile pepper, seeded & minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger root, grated
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 4 prunes, re-hydrated by simmering in 1-cup water
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onion, including green shoots
Egg Role Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Sauté ginger and garlic in oil until nicely browned.
- Add the vegetables and sauté for 5 minutes. Do not over cook; the vegetables should remain slightly crispy.
- Add the chili flakes, soy sauce and black pepper, cooking for 2 minutes more. Set aside to cool.
- Lay an egg roll sheet on a dry surface. Place one heaping tablespoon of stuffing on the bottom third of the sheet, brush a little water along the edges and roll up like a burrito.
- Spray a sheet pan with olive oil and put the rolls on the pan. Lightly spray the rolls with olive oil and bake for 25 minutes at 350˚F.
Dipping Sauce Instructions
- Combine the garlic, agave, red chile, ginger and lime juice in a small bowl.
- Bring the water to a boil and add 4 dried prunes, reduce to a simmer and cover. Simmer the prunes for about 5 minutes, or until very soft. Remove from heat and cool.
- Add the prunes and their liquid to the ginger and lime mixture and transfer to a blender. Puree until smooth.
- Serve sauce in small bowls with a sprinkle of green onion in each bowl.