From our Hands-On Cooking Class, with Visiting Chef David Cohen at La Cocina Que Canta!
A lovely photo of our guest, Rease Kirchner, during class via Instagram.
Recipe Serves 8
- 6 cups cubed and seeded watermelon (approx 3 pounds whole)
- 4 tablespoons white grape juice
- ¼ English cucumber peeled and chopped
- ½ red onion finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper cored, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cups cantaloupe or other melons finely diced
- 1 cup cucumber finely diced
- ½ cup watermelon radish finely diced
- 4 ounces feta cheese
- 2-3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 24 fresh baby mint leaves
- In a blender or food processor combine the watermelon, cucumber (chopped), and grape juice. Pulse until just blended. (Over processing will lessen the color and sweetness of the soup)
- Pour through a sieve. Press out all the juice. Discard the pulp. Save the liquid.
- Dice the peppers, onions and cucumber. Place into liquid along with the vinegar to taste and let chill while completing other cuts.
- Complete dicing the cantaloupe, other cucumber and radish.
- When ready to serve add the second set of diced items to the liquid. Ladle 4-6 ounces of soup into the bowl. Garnish feta and mint leaves. Serve chilled.
Perfect for a hot summer day! Enjoy!