Scallop Ceviche on Baked Tortilla Chips
Hands-on Cooking Class with Visiting Chef John Ash of Culinary Week 2013
Ingredients for Scallop Ceviche:
- 2 pounds absolutely fresh bay scallops
- 2 teaspoons finely diced serrano peppers
- 1/3 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup finely diced sweet white or red onion such as Vidalia
- 2/3 cup seeded and diced vine ripe tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons finely minced garlic, preferably blanched
- 1 teaspoon sugar or to taste
- 1 ½ cups fresh lime juice
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro, plus more sprigs for garnish
- 2 to 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Directions for Scallop Ceviche:
- Rinse and clean scallops. In a large mixing bowl combine lime juice, lemon juice, sugar, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Add both peppers, onion, and tomato to the marinade. Add scallops and gently stir. Cover with plastic wrap (press plastic wrap down onto the mixture so there is no air in between) and place in the refrigerator for a maximum of 30 minutes.
- Strain off most of the liquid and pour ceviche into another bowl. Drizzle with a little olive oil and mix in chopped cilantro. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if desired. Place on crisp chips and serve immediately.
Ingredients for Tortilla Chips:
- 6 6-inch corn tortillas
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
Directions for Tortilla Chips:
Cut tortillas into quarters. Brush with olive oil and place on a sheet tray (you may have to use two sheet trays). Season lightly with salt and bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 12 minutes. Allow to cool so they become nice and crispy.