Looking to stay healthy and enjoy all that the beautiful Spring season has to offer? Here are some Spring tips from our Auryvedic specialist, Carla Levy:
1) Wake up early (before 7am) and utilize the new-found seasonal vitality. As kapha is especially aggravated by sleeping in beyond 7am, rising early is a useful way to reduce kapha aggravations of fatigue, lethargy, mucus and headaches.
2) Practice skin brushing. This can be very valuable at this time of year for stimulating lymphatic circulation. Tradition suggests starting brushing at the feet and legs, then progressing to the arms and back and then to the chest and abdomen. This brings lymphatic fluid back to the heart for elimination via the blood where toxins and wastes are cleared by the liver and kidneys.
3) Follow with an oil massage using warmed organic sesame or sunflower oil to reduce kapha from the skin.
4) Have a hot shower to refresh the body.
5) If you can have a sauna during the early part of spring it will help to dry the excessive secretions that occur at this time of year.
6) Take a cup of hot ginger and lemon water to stimulate digestion and cut through any mucus that has accumulated overnight.
7) The spring diet should emphasize the bitter, pungent and astringent foods that help to clear mucus and excess moisture from the body. The bitter and pungent flavors also help to open the channels of elimination. Conversely, avoid the sweet, sour and salty flavors that are heavy and cause water stagnation in the body. Your meals should be warm, light and very easy to digest. While the nature of most foods is sweet it is important to add these other recommended flavors into your diet.
8) Increase light grains such as quinoa, barley, millet, corn. As beans are considered to be astringent they can be emphasized at this time of year, with red lentils, adzuki beans and chickpeas good for clearing kapha.
To learn more about Carla, visit her website at http://www.carlalevy.org/.